Complex Spine Surgeon
Swedish Neuroscience Institute
Dr. Hanscom is a board certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in complex spine problems in all areas of the spine. He has expertise in adult and pediatric spinal deformities such as scoliosis and kyphosis. A significant part of his practice is devoted to performing surgery on patients who have had multiple prior spine surgeries. He works for Swedish Neuroscience Specialists in Seattle, WA with eight neurosurgeons and a physiatrist.
He is the founder of the “DOCC” project. It stands for “Defined, Organized, Comprehensive, Care.” This is a structured rehabilitation protocol for chronic pain, which involves:
- Improving sleep
- Managing stress
- Engaging in long-term conditioning
- Obtaining adequate pain control with aggressive medication management
- Re-setting goals
- Educating the patient so as to regain control of their decision making.
- Learn more about the DOCC Project
- His medical degree is from Loma Linda University in 1979.
- His residency training began with internal medicine in Spokane, WA from 1979-1981.
- Orthopedic surgery residency was done at the University of Hawaii from 1981-1984.
- He did a six-month orthopedic trauma fellowship in 1984 at UC Davis in Sacramento, CA.
- His spinal deformity fellowship was completed in Minneapolis, MN at Twin Cities Scoliosis Center in 1986.